Philadelphia Watchman Stroke Device Injury Lawyer
Our Philadelphia Watchman stroke device injury lawyer represents people injured by Watchman stroke prevention medical devices. Watchman stroke prevention devices are permanently implanted medical devices intended to reduce the risk of stroke caused by atrial fibrillation. Watchman stroke prevention devices are also known as:
- Watchman Stroke Devices, and
- Watchman Left Atrial Appendage Closure Devices
Irregular heartbeats from atrial fibrillation (AFib or AF) increase the risk of blood clots and resultant stroke due to pooling of blood in AFib patients’ hearts. Physicians may prescribe insertion of Watchman stroke devices for patients suffering from atrial fibrillation for whom blood thinners are contraindicated. The Watchman stroke device is intended to prevent AFib patients’ strokes by preventing already formed blood clots from reaching patients’ brains.
Watchman Stroke Prevention Device Injuries and Side Effects
Watchman stroke prevention devices are linked to serious injuries and death. Injury causing complications can occur when:
- the metal anchors of Watchman devices break during or after insertion
- the Watchman device, its metal anchors, or other device parts migrate / move to different parts of patients’ bodies after insertion
- the device is immobilized after insertion (patients’ blood vessels become blocked through formation of emboli following insertion of the device)
Injuries resulting from Watchman stroke device complications may include:
- renal / kidney injury
- renal / kidney failure
- dangerous bleeding
- heart damage, including damage to heart valves and heart puncturing
- congestive heart failure
- DVT (deep vein thrombosis)
- pericardial effusion
- additional heart and blood vessel injury during removal of fractured or migrated device
- wrongful death
Studies Showing Serious Injuries in Recipients of Watchman Stroke Devices
Studies have shown an association between Watchman stroke prevention devices and injury causing complications. The July 2015 issue of Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions reported statistics from 20 studies of stroke prevention devices, showing blockage of blood vessels by emboli that formed following insertion. An embolus or blockage occurs when all or part of a medical device moves from the location in which it was initially inserted.
In July 2016, Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes published the results of a study showing an association between stroke prevention devices such as Watchman devices and:
- a high incidence of injury related to stroke prevention device insertion
- “moderate-strength evidence” of serious injury caused by stroke prevention devices
Watchman Stroke Prevention Device Lawsuits
Lawsuits brought by a Philadelphia Watchman stroke device injury lawyer may allege that Watchman stroke device manufacturer Boston Scientific:
- failed to provide adequate instructions to physicians regarding safe insertion of Watchman stroke prevention devices
- failed to adequately warn physicians and consumers of the risks of serious injury and death associated with Watchman stroke devices
Watchman Stroke Device Medical Malpractice Claims
Louis Jay Arnold also represents clients in medical malpractice claims against doctors who negligently prescribed and / or monitored patients’ complications from Watchman stroke devices. For more information about medical malpractice lawsuits, see Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Lawyer.
Contact a Philadelphia Watchman Stroke Device Injury Lawyer
Were you or a family member injured after insertion of a Watchman stroke prevention device? You may be entitled to compensation from the manufacturer.Contact our Philadelphia Watchman stroke device injury lawyer, today, for a cost-free initial consultation about your case.