How to Find a Good Malpractice Lawyer in Philadelphia
To get the best outcome possible for your medical malpractice case, it is essential to start with the right lawyer.
Medical malpractice is a specialized area of law that is less straightforward than personal injury cases. Often, there is a significant, complicated overlap between legal matters and medical procedures.
As a result, doctors are usually represented by aggressive attorneys that work for their hospital. Even in cases where they don’t, hospitals work with their insurance providers to create legal teams that defend against medical malpractice claims.
This is why you must know how to find a good malpractice lawyer to build the best possible claim.
#1: Assemble a List of the Best Malpractice Lawyers in Your Area
There are several ways to find the right attorney for your medical malpractice case. It is best to make a list of at least five lawyers to contact about your case. Here are a few ways to find a malpractice attorney:
- Ask family and/or friends for a referral. Always make sure to evaluate the attorney’s credentials.
- Contact or use a directory from the bar association in your area. Local bar associations usually have a directory of attorneys in the area. They cannot give you recommendations, but they offer lists of medical malpractice attorneys in your area.
- Ask another attorney if they know someone with medical malpractice experience.
- Search for medical malpractice lawyers using Google or another search engine. Some good phrases to use are “medical malpractice attorneys in my area,” “medical malpractice attorneys near me,” or “medical malpractice lawyer in Philadelphia.”
Once you start searching for medical malpractice lawyers, it is important to review their background and see their experience with your type of case.
#2: Research Medical Malpractice Lawyers and Their Background
As you start learning how to find a great medical malpractice attorney, make sure to look for lawyers who have experience in medical malpractice. Consider the following questions:
- Do they specialize in medical malpractice law?
- Do they have a medical background in addition to law?
- Do they have an education specific to medical malpractice?
- Do they have a track record of success in malpractice cases?
- Do they have access to an expert medical witness?
- Do they have positive reviews from past clients?
- Do they have memberships with personal injury attorney associations?
Lawyers who meet all the above criteria are a great choice in medical malpractice cases. Often, lawyers practicing in this area of law also have medical experience, which can make or break your case.
#3: Contact the Lawyer and Ask Questions
Once you narrow down your list of potential medical malpractice lawyers, it is important to ask questions about their experience. This is a good way to see if they are a good match for you.
Consider asking the following questions when you contact their practice:
- What percentage of your cases are specifically medical malpractice?
- How many malpractice cases go to trial instead of settlement?
- Who handles my case, legal assistants or my lawyer?
- What is the fee agreement and how are fees paid?
Each attorney is different. However, it is best to work with an attorney that is upfront about their cases. A good medical malpractice lawyer will mostly take personal injury and malpractice cases. This usually means they specialize in cases involving medical trauma.
It is best to have an attorney that works hard to settle your case. Check their case results and look for high settlement amounts. This shows that the attorney is good a negotiating high settlements.
Most medical malpractice attorneys charge a contingency fee instead of upfront fees. This means that the attorney will only receive a payment if they recover money in your case.
Contact An Experienced Philadelphia Medical Malpractice Attorney
Medical malpractice cases hold care providers responsible for a lack of standards and negligence. It is essential to know how to find a good malpractice lawyer if you become a victim of medical malpractice.
Following the steps above will ensure that your case is in the hands of a professional attorney with a proven track record.
At PhillyLaw LLC, we passionately pursue compensation in medical malpractice cases with exceptional results. If you have any questions about a medical malpractice claim, our office of medical malpractice attorneys in Philadelphia are here to help you.